It is very important for such students who are preparing for government exams to have knowledge of daily current affairs. In this article, all the major current affairs updates have been given.
Current Affairs Today 02 June 2022
Sandeep Kumar Gupta to be next chairman of GAIL, succeeds Manoj Jain
- Sandeep Kumar Gupta, Director for Finance at Indian Oil Corporation, has been picked to head India’s largest gas utility GAIL (India) Ltd.
- He will replace Manoj Jain, who is scheduled to retire on August 31.
- GAIL is India’s largest gas transmission and gas marketing company, with a 14,502-kilometre gas pipeline network and a capacity of 206 million standard cubic meters a day.
- Its natural gas pipeline network covers 21 states.
- It holds around 70 per cent share of the gas-transmission network and more than 50 per cent share of natural gas sales in India.
KK Venugopal re-appointed Attorney General of India for 3 months
- Celebrated advocate KK Venugopal, was re-appointed the Attorney General for India for three months.
- In 2017, K.K Venugopal was appointed as the 15th AG of India.
- Venugopal, the oldest person to occupy the post, was appointed as the Attorney General for India in July 2017, succeeding Mukul Rohatgi.
- The attorney general usually has tenure of three years.
- 1st Attorney General of India -Motilal C. Setalvad
Maharashtra government approved renaming of Aurangabad, Osmanabad
- The renaming of the cities Aurangabad and Osmanabad was agreed by the Maharashtra state cabinet.
- Both places will now be called Sambhaji Nagar and Dharashiv, respectively.
- Additionally, Navi Mumbai Airport will now be known as DB Patil International Airport.
Max Life Launches Insta-COI+ to Deliver Superior Customer Experience
- Max Life Insurance Company Limited has launched ‘Insta confirmation of insurance (InstaCOI)’, for the customers who buys the ‘Max Life Smart Fixed-return Digital Plan’ (UIN: 104N123V01), a non-linked, non participating, individual life insurance savings plan on Max Life website or Policybazaar platform.
- The Insta-COI enables intimation to the customer regarding the commencement of the risk cover pending release of the policy contract with a hassle-free onboarding.
- This initiative is strengthened by AI-enabled smart underwriting which is applicable for certain low-risk prospects for a sum assured of up to Rs. 25 Lakh.
- Recently, Max Life has also introduced innovative digital experiences like chatbot and WhatsApp servicing.
India’s Tata Motors partnered with Japan’s Renesas to develop chip solutions
- India’s Tata Motors and Japanese chipmaker Renesas Electronics Corp have formed a strategic partnership to design, develop and manufacture semiconductor solutions for domestic and global markets.
- As part of the partnership, Renesas will also work with Tejas Networks, a Tata Group company, on wireless network solutions including 5G.
Odisha government won first prize in National MSME Award 2022
- The Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) Department, Government of Odisha has been awarded first prize in the category “National MSME Award 2022 to States/UTs for outstanding contribution in the promotion and Development of MSME Sector” by virtue of various developmental initiatives taken up for the development of MSMEs.
- Bihar and Haryana were 2nd & 3rd
- Kalahandi , Odisha has been awarded third prize in the category “National MSME Award 2022 to Aspirational districts for outstanding contribution in the promotion and Development of MSME Sector”
World Bank Approves USD 1 Billion Loans to Support India’s Health Sector
- The World Bank (WB) Board of Executive Directors has approved 2 complementary loans of USD 500 million each to support India’s health sector.
- The two complementary combined loans of USD 1 billion will be offered to support India’s flagship Pradhan Mantri-Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission (PM-ABHIM) which was launched in October 2021, to improve the public healthcare infrastructure across India.
- This loan will be prioritized for seven states including Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Meghalaya, Odisha, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh to improve the health sector.
About World Bank (WB):
• President – David Robert Malpass
• Establishment -1944
• Headquarters – Washington D.C, United States (US)
ICICIdirect Launches Learning App to Help Customers in Investment
- ICICI Securities (I-Sec) launched ICICIdirect iLearn, a learning app for investors (beginners or expertise) to easily learn about several financial products and market topics.
- Aim –To provide investors with well-researched and simplified content by expertise for taking better investment decisions.
- The ICICIdirect iLearn app currently hosts more than 550 content pieces across various sections that will be updated on regular intervals on different topics including current market developments.
About ICICI Securities (I-Sec):
• ICICI Securities (I-Sec) is a subsidiary of ICICI Bank Limited
• Chairman – Vinod Kumar Dhall
• Establishment – 1995
• Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Meta & Tribal Affairs Ministry Launches 2nd phase of GOAL 2.0
- Social media giant Meta (Formerly known as Facebook) collaborated with the Ministry of Tribal Affairs to launch the 2nd phase of Going Online As Leaders (GOAL) 2.0 programme.
- It was launched by Union tribal affairs minister Arjun Munda.
- The 1st phase of GOAL has changed the lives of tribal youth through the digital mentorship programme.
- In the 2nd phase, a platform will be created for more than 50,000 self-help groups and 10 lakh families associated with Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED) to reach globally.
ISRO launched rocket PSLV-C53, carrying 3 Singapore satellite
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has successfully launched three Singaporean satellites from the Second Launch Pad at Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- The spacecraft will deploy the three missions in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) at an altitude of 570 km measured from the equator.
- This is the 55th mission of PSLV and the 15th mission using the PSLV-Core Alone variant.
- PSLV-C53 (PSLV stands for Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle) is the second dedicated commercial mission of NewSpace India Limited (NSIL), the commercial arm of ISRO
- NewSpace India Limited (NSIL) a corporate arm of the Department of Space (DOS) is launching the mission under its agreement with Singapore in what is the second commercial mission for the body.
PYSE launched India’s First & Largest Fractionally Owned Solar Power Plant in Karnataka
- Pyse Fintech Pvt. Ltd.(PYSE), an investment platform, has launched India’s first and largest fractionally owned solar power plant in Karnataka.
- The platform allows retail investors to invest in sustainable projects that create social and environmental impacts from a ticket size as low as Rs 5,000.
- The plant is set to be commissioned by the end of July 2022 and is designed to offset 65 lakh kgs of carbon footprint every year for the next 25 years.
- It is a Rs 26 crore solar power project with an average investor share of Rs 25,000.
- The project will help in strengthening leadership positions in the renewable energy sector and also help India in achieving SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) to tackle climate change-related issues.
- The project is supported by more than 600 retail investors.
Star Health Insurance & IDFC FIRST Bank Forms Bancassurance Tie-Up
- Star Health and Allied Insurance Company, one of India’s major health insurance companies, has inked a Corporate Agency agreement with IDFC FIRST Bank, for the distribution of its health insurance solutions.
- Under this strategic agreement, Star Health and Allied Insurance will use IDFC FIRST Bank’s digital platform and vast distribution network to offer their best-in-class health insurance products to the customers of the bank.
- This Bancassurance collaboration will make health insurance more accessible to all, as well as help IDFC FIRST Bank customers protect themselves financially from escalating healthcare costs.
About IDFC FIRST Bank:
• MD & CEO – V. Vaidyanathan (He is the first MD & CEO of IDFC FIRST Bank)
• Establishment – 2018
• Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
• Tagline – Always You First